Ankara All the Time

26 Aug

Howdy. Longest time, no see.

I thought I’d start back up and see if, after so long, we can re-connect and re-build together; hopefully, I’m right.

It’s been a long few months and my silence was a combination of excuses.

‘I’m not inspired!’ I’d cry.

‘It’s too cold!’ I’d shiver (this one, you see, is seasonal and can be replaced with ‘too hot/wet/muggy/dry).’

Everything’s bad and nothing’s good! I’d hyperbolicize (not a word, I realize).

But the thing is, if you’re not careful, you can create a world full of ‘reasons why not.’ After all these quiet fashion-less months, I felt compelled to find a reason ‘why,’ and it started with the dress below.

Image

Image

I am a long-time Etsy lover and it’s become mecca for custom- and (really WELL) made pieces that most won’t have but many will covet.

Image

Image

Image

Look at this Ankara magic dress by DemestiksNYC!  Ankara, is a brightly dyed  wax fabric, often associated with West Africa because of graphic prints, but actually of Dutch origin, that breathes exceptionally well in the summer and is just generally amazing. As a Cameroonian girl, my family has worn ankara forever, so a dress like this feels both fashion-forward and, like ‘home’ to me.

Usually, folks see Ankara and think summer, but I’m newly re-obsessed with it, I’m trying to figure out how to do it year-round.

Image

Thanks for reading; talk soon (I promise!)

Earrings: Aldo

Dress: DemestiksNYC

Shoes: La Dolve Vita

Sunnies: Domino Dollhouse

About these ads

16 Responses to “Ankara All the Time”

1. tharjye August 27, 2013 at 1:21 am #

Yay…….Welcome back i was really excited to see a post notification in my email an what a wonderful comeback with you wearing such a beautiful dress an it has pockets yessss…… love how you paired it with the brown heels very pretty!

• Addi Enne August 27, 2013 at 4:26 pm #

Thank you so so much! I don’t intend to take that long a break again!

2. Fredetta August 27, 2013 at 3:15 am #

Welcome back! Love the dress!

• Addi Enne August 27, 2013 at 4:25 pm #

Thank you so much! I was itching to blog, it really was just a matter of finding the thing that compelled me!

3. Ivory J. August 27, 2013 at 3:29 am #

i saw this dress in person and was thisclose to purchasing…you look great!

• Addi Enne August 27, 2013 at 4:25 pm #

Thanks, Ivory! The colors are so vibrant, I just couldn’t let it go, lol!

4. juliette August 27, 2013 at 3:03 pm #

I commented on Facebook but forgot to say how lovely you look! I think that this dress would work well in winter with carmel or brown high boots and a coordinating leather jacket (any excuse to wear leather, that’s me!) So glad to have you back!

• Addi Enne August 27, 2013 at 4:24 pm #

Aww, thank you so much. I like those boot ideas; funny, I had my eye on an awesome boot just the other day…

5. VanoueLicious August 27, 2013 at 7:51 pm #

Oh I’ve been missing your blogging and your style inspiration! Welcome back!
    I love Ankara and your dress is amazing! Can’t wait to see some african inspired prints on your blog during fall and winter!

6. beep August 27, 2013 at 8:23 pm #

Yay hello yay! Great to see you’re posting. I had no idea Ankara is a fabric (among other things), in Finnish the word means strict or severe. Älä ole liian ankara itsellesi = don’t be too hard on yourself. ;) Sorry, couldn’t resist the random trivia moment.

7. Style4Curves August 27, 2013 at 11:06 pm #

You were sorely missed!!!! LOVE!!

8. Shannon August 29, 2013 at 10:34 am #

Welcome back! I have been checking for updates regularly. The dress is awesome. You look fabulous!

9. kristilove August 29, 2013 at 3:17 pm #

Welcome back! I literally just thought to myself, “haven’t logged into feedly in a while. Maybe there’s a new Curve & The Line post” and finally there was! Dress is beautiful and you look great.

10. Francesca August 29, 2013 at 7:24 pm #

Nice to see you back! What a lovely dress.

11. Zara Willis September 3, 2013 at 7:49 pm #

I am glad you are back. And that dress is the best.

12. bee September 9, 2013 at 9:51 pm #

addi, I’m crying tears of joy… you’re back. please never leave again!!!!